Wednesday 13 April 2016



Last night we went to see The Smashing Pumpkins, and it has pulled me out of blogging obscurity. I know. Weird. It's only been, what, a year? More? Meh, whatever. 

When I was a kid, grade 6, I bought a mix tape from this kid in my middle school. The Mix Tape is called "Chuck's Kick Ass Mix' and it was indeed, a kick ass mix. On it was a pretty incredible mix of bands - Rage Against the Machine, Stone Temple Pilots, Pearl Jam, Blind Melon....and The Smashing Pumpkins. And so began my love of this band. 

There are many bands that I love more than SP, it's not that I'm a superfan. But, this band is my CHILDHOOD. Hearing the song Today takes me right back to the first time I listened, right after I went downtown and bought the tape with my allowance. And hearing 1979 takes me right back to laying in fields in the summer with friends, trying to figure out where we should go, what we should do, nothing but time on our hands. We weren't all absorbed with technology, we were just kids, wild and free, right on the cusp of the technological revolution that is slowly robbing our children of their childhoods. 

Anyway, last night Billy and I saw SP at Massey Hall in Toronto. What. A. Show. Every song was perfect. Lots of acoustic. Lots of electric. A Bowie cover. A Stones cover. All so perfect. But to me, the best part of the show came when they played 1979. Everyone stood and sang with him. It was everything. I was instantly transported to my teenage years, to summer, to the days when you would just sit and listen, REALLY listen, to a good song. And when Billy stopped singing, the crowd went crazy. Standing ovation. And no one would stop clapping. It was the middle of the show, so it was no encore clap. And I can't speak for anyone else there. But for me, it was just my way of showing him that 1979 is one of the best songs I've ever heard, the song of a generation. The song that represents everything, before it all became something else. 

Anyway, I think I'll pop in here again now, because honestly I'm just too long winded for Instagram and I have lots to share. I've been crazy busy with my business and I would like to share some posts on that too (and maybe share some tips and tricks, that sort of thing. 

If you're looking for me until them, I'm over on IG of course! Personal @adrianeduckworth and The Wild @thewildkidsapparel. 
a_sig2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...